AFGHANI LAMB WITH
- 2 1/2 pound Lamb stew meat - preferably leg
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 3/4 pound Onions; diced large
- 4 Teaspoons Chopped garlic
- 2 Teaspoons of Turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoons of Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoons of Ground cardamom
- 1 Teaspoons of Crushed red pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 32 oz Can tomatoes; drain & chop
- 1 cup Rich brown veal stock or
- 1 cup Rich beef stock
- 1/3 pound Fresh spinach; wash & drain
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 tablespoons of Grated lemon peel Salt; to taste
- 1/4 cup Pine nuts (Roasted at 350 F. for about 3.5 minutes)
Sear lamb in the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven.
Add the onions; saute them for 2 minutes; then add the garlic and
saute it for 1 minute. Put in the turmeric, nutmeg, cardamom, crushed
red pepper and cinnamon and saute the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes
more, being careful not to burn the onions or garlic. Add the
tomatoes and veal stock and stir.
Cover the dish and bake at 350 F. for about 1 hour, until the meat
is tender and begins to break up. Remove the dish from the oven and
add the spinach, stirring until the spinach is wilted and blended in.
Allow the stew to cool slightly. Add the yogurt, lemon peel and
salt to taste. Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts. Serve over rice
From executive chef Phil Soroko of Someplace Special
restaurant/McLean, VA. In _The New Carry-Out Cuisine_ by Phyllis
Meras with Linda Glick Conway. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company,
1986. Pg. 128. ISBN 0-395-42504-2.
Personal Injury Attorney Los Angeles | Seo Los Angeles | Gold Ira | Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney